Relationships & Couples Counseling
Relationships are the greatest tools we have in life to grow, learn, and deepen our experience of love and purpose. Few things impact our sense of well-being like our ability to recognize, develop, and maintain healthy relationships. They can be our biggest source of connection and strength or a tremendous source of pain. Couples therapy provides a wonderful opportunity to expand a couple's awareness, identify ways in which they might be “stuck,” pinpoint the root causes of conflict, and learn to communicate in ways that increase understanding and trust.
I commonly address the following topics in couples counseling:
- Lack of intimacy is a large component of the ultimate breakdown of a relationship. It is often a symptom of a deeper issue.
- Learn about barriers that inhibit intimacy.
- Create trust and closeness or connection.
- Understand your partner's Love Language.
- Conflict itself is not necessarily destructive. It is a normal healthy part of any relationship when handled appropriately.
- Do you try to hurt your partner when fighting?
- Do you shut down during conflict?
- Learn how to fight fairly.
- Is it too late to save this relationship?
- How to end a relationship without inflicting further damage.
- Co-parenting after a divorce.
- Codependency typically involves placing a lower priority on one's own needs, while being excessively preoccupied with the needs of others. Couples therapy can help identify this issue and its origins and create more balance when necessary.
- Is your relationship unsafe or abusive?
- Learn to recognize the cycle of abuse.